Thursday, August 4, 2011

Raw Food Recipes - Where do I get new recipes?

Raw Food Recipes - it's absolutely critical that you amass a huge collection of raw food recipes as you begin to experiment with this new lifestyle. The question is, where do you get this information?

The first thing that you need to do is to be aware of your learning style. What do I mean by this?

- Do you learn best by watching videos of how other people prepare food?
- Do you learn best by reading books on the subject?
- Do you learn best by watching other people do a demo right in front of you?

Of course, the amount of time and money that you're willing to invest in for your health will also determine the type of training material or program you will immerse yourself in.

My first exposure to raw food was through a book with a picture of what looked like a green concoction on the cover and I was drawn to see what was in it. Before reading this book, I have never mixed drinks or made smoothies, but as the author explained how easy it was to make a green smoothie (fruits and leafy greens thrown into a blender), I realized that this is something that I can do on my own. You can't go wrong with the amount of fruit or leafy greens - just go out and try it.

Then one day, while attending a meditation class, the person sitting next to me saw that I was drinking a green smoothie and she asked me if I got the recipe from a famous raw food teacher in our area. As we talked about my smoothie, she introduced me to a woman who taught classes and gave raw food recipes to people who might be interested in living a healthier life. I attender her class, and on that weekend, I realized that being vegan did not mean eating rabbit food. On the contrary, raw vegan food, if prepared properly, tastes so good! Immediately, a whole new future opened up for me as I saw the possibility of eating really awesome food while staying lean and fit.

Naturally, I wanted to learn more about raw food recipes, and that led me to search the internet for free raw food recipes. There's an abundance of sources on the internet, from Youtube, to personal blogs, to some really awesome websites of culinary schools.

I had no idea that raw food lifestyle has taken the whole world by storm! Famous people like Anthony Robbins, Jason Mraz, Steve Jobs, Sting, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone were all raw foodists! Inspired by this, my resolve to adopt this new lifestyle got solidified.

If you're new to this, you would naturally want to build your own library of raw food recipes. The easiest one to make is something that takes less than 30 seconds to prepare. All you need is a blender, some water, some leafy greens, and some fruit. Don't worry about the ratios right now. The important thing is to put in some leafy greens into a fruit smoothie. My first attempt at making a green smoothie used this recipe:

500 ml of water (or coconut water)
1 pineapple (or mango)
2 bananas
a handful of leafy greens (spinach, or whatever grows locally in your area)

Blend until you don't see green chunks floating around. That's it!

For an ordinary blender, this might take 30 seconds. For a high powered blender like a Vitamix, this could take less than 10 seconds.

It tastes like a pineapple banana smoothie. It doesn't taste like spinach at all!

This is a great way of adding leafy greens into your diet.

Now you may be asking, why do I need to add leafy greens into a fruit smoothie?

Leafy greens are just so full of nutrients and enzymes. Chlorophyll has been described by some people as liquid sunlight. Ever wonder what makes apes, cows and horses so strong? The greens. These animals are naturally vegan, and they happen to be really strong.

There is a wealth of free information on the internet, and I have compiled all of this information into an ebook. Pretty soon, I will make this available to anyone who's interested. Aside from information on how to get started on a raw food diet, it will also contain lots of raw food recipes.

1 comment:

  1. This is quite interesting! I'm definitely not a cook (I've actually been taking classes) so it's good to know that there are many ways of preparing food without cooking. I believe that it is healthy but it's worth trying to prove that it can also be yummy! I guess I really need to get a new blender!!!

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete